Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Rewind to 5 June 2006

This is a whiny post.
Exactly one year ago, i was a FREE person. No job, not much money, but hey, i had a life! and boy was it interesting.
5 June 2006, 11pm. I was on a train bound for Saigon. It was one of those hard sleeper carriages where they squeeze 6 people into a tiny section. 3 beds on each side. I, unfortunately had the top one where there wasn't enough room to sit up. I had to lie down ALL the time, and sit in a semi-crouching position. Very uncomfortable ride indeed. Earlier in the day, i had been in Nha Trang, visiting the surrounding islands on a boat ride. Spent a really nice day out at sea amidst good company. The staff on the boat laid out a feast for lunch, and belted out some karaoke after. Someone on the boat had caught a sea urchin in the clear blue waters. I couldn't swim because of my nasty motorbike wound but i had fun anyway just enjoying the smell of the sea, the wind in my hair, and walking around the islands.
6 June 2006 8am
I got into Saigon and explored the city alone. Trying to avoid being mowed down by crazy motorcyclists and drivers while crossing the roads. Rejecting all the annoying touts that were offering tours, hotels, motorbike rides, taxis etc. I still remember that while walking around chaotic Chinatown, i got a bit lost. Then i wandered into a shop and was pleasantly surprised that the owners could speak Mandarin and dialect (and were very excited to do so) and bombarded me with questions about Singapore. Then while on the bus, i met another Hong kong businessman who warned me about Phnom Penh and how dangerous it was to be going there alone, and of course it turned out to be OK.
Fast forward to 5 June 2007
Right now, I'm feeling chained to my cubicle. OK, technically i AM in a foreign country but it doesn't feel so foreign anymore. Now that i've been here for 4 months, I've established some sort of a regular routine and therefore i'm already looking forward to my next time off work but its a long way to October.
I miss the taste of freedom, the euphoria i feel when i'm carrying a backpack with all my belongings for 2 months, traipsing around in a new place, exploring, taking photos of new and novel things, people around me, trying new food, and planning where to go next. I remember that i constantly felt this knot of excitement, fear and panic all the time because i was travelling alone for such an extended period of time but most importantly i felt alive.
Business trips don't quite count as travel, does it? I've already been on a few and it doesn't exactly tickle my fancy. While its a good excuse to get out of Hangzhou, you arrive in a far too developed and boring city which you have already googled out before hand, arrive at your client's place, schmooze and go. Bleah. Quite far from my idea of adventure. Weekend trips aren't quite the same either. Not much flavour. Plus there's this unpleasant thought about having to go back to work the following day. gosh, am i jaded already? Is it time to quit (again)?
Basically i miss having a REAL adventure.
UGH.
i.
want.
to.
get.
out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

no wonder you are dreaming about traveling again. guess you won't be awake in the near future, hehe :)

-- landd

The Scientist said...

Do you think it's possible that your job doesn't excite you enough?