Saturday, December 20, 2008

Huanglong

Personally, I enjoyed Huanglong a lot more than Jiuzhaigou. Despite hearing conflicting rumours about whether Huanglong was open to visitors in the off-peak season, we decided to risk it anyway. To our delight, the park was near-empty upon our arrival – I counted less than 15 visitors I saw in the 4 hours we were there.

My travel companions and I took a leisurely walk (not as easy as it sounds since i get really breathless at higher altitude!) up to the highest point (3600m above sea-level), stopping to take in the numerous shimmering multi-coloured ponds, lakes, a completely frozen waterfall, and of course its famed travertine formations.


The calcium carbonate in the pools give off different hues in the sunshine


A waterfall completely frozen in motion - surreal!


Travertine (i learnt a new word!) formations formed by calcium and other mineral deposits



Tibetan temple near the top of the park



If you listened carefully enough, you could hear gurgling sounds of water rushing beneath the frozen surface.

No comments: