Saturday, January 17, 2009

Imprints

It takes leaving the country for awhile and then returning to see things in a different light. You take things for granted when you live in the same place for too long. I've never found old shophouses interesting until now. I felt like a tourist wandering around these new-old buildings - everything looks different and yet vaguely familiar. I notice the intricate designs on the mosaic tiles, the panelled double-doors of the entrances, and delicate, narrow spiral-staircases at the back of the buildings. Maybe i'm afraid that when i come back again to Singapore again, they might be gone, or simply fade away from my memories again.




Crowds at Chinatown shopping for new-year goodies



Word pun on the phrase "扭(牛)转乾坤" in the year of the Ox - which means "to have immense power to change nature or the established order of a country" (Hey, i checked the dictionary!) The oxen sculptures of the Sri Mariamman temple conveniently sit beside this banner.






Old buildings - i seem to get nostalgic about them lately.




Old shophouses reincarnated as offices





Porthole window




Perpetual state of construction and deconstruction

No comments: