Saturday, July 01, 2006

Wa Laos!






My first photo of Laos. I wanted to take a picture of the Laos immigration control (it was essentially a hut in the middle of a thick jungle!) but i didn't want to annoy the stern border officials. We had to drive for miles on a dirt track to get there and to get out onto the Laos highway.
At Don Khong island, Si Phan Don - (4000 islands), in the far south of Laos.

Spent a lovely afternoon cycling around Don Khong island - it has lots of peaceful, quiet little villages with ricefields. I had to swerve a few times to avoid the chickens and dogs on the roads.

The little kids all shout "Sabaai-dee" in glee when we cycle past. Even the adults are very friendly and welcoming with their smiles!! I like Laos already :-)

Livestock (pigs at the bottom, chickens on the roof) on a "sawnghthaew". These little pickup trucks are the local mode of transportation around southern Laos. The one i sat on this morning to get from Chempasek to Pakse had 31 people crammed into it. Really! And i was told it was a bonus that there weren't any chickens on the same vehicle.

2 comments:

Michael said...

And all this time I just thought you had forgotten about us still slaving away in the 'real' world. Little did I know there are parts of the world where internet access isn't readily available.

So what is it that the strangers were yelling at you? "Stranger go home"?

Hui said...

What real world? Sabai-dee means "hello" in Lao! i haven't learnt any other phrases though!